The Module Weight Distribution Report is a tool designed to calculate the three-dimensional mass distribution of weight items within the defined boundaries of a unit/module. It provides crucial information on weight, center of gravity, and mass distribution for each unit/module.
The calculations in this tool are based on the SAWE paper no. 785 – “Mass Distribution Requirements for Modular Ship Construction in the Preliminary Design Phase” by Norris L. Wood and Charles M. Mead, 1969.
To use the module weight distribution in ShipWeight, follow these steps:
1. Create a Custom Code to define the boundaries for the unit/module.
- Open the Code Definition window (menu: View->Code Definition…) or click the heading Codes in the lower right quadrant of the main window.
- Create a new code with a descriptive Title (e.g., Block Units, Stations, Modules).
- Set Field type to Listbox and AutoSum to No Sum.
- Add subcodes for this code holding the blocks that will be used to create the modules for the Module Weight Distribution.
- Set the Code ID to be the module name, and set VCG_min, VCG_Max, LCG_min, LCG_max, TCG_min, and TCG_max limits according to the block, station, or module.
- Close the window after adding the subcodes you want to use when creating the module weight distribution.
2. Module Weight Distribution
- Open the Module Weight Distribution Window (menu: View->Module Wgt. Distribution).
- Select the custom code created for the module weight distribution as Box Code.
- The calculations will appear in the window.
- To view the Module Weight distribution for the custom code, click Print and see the subcodes holding the result for each module. This report can be printed or exported to MS Excel, MS Word, or Ascii file.